This product quickly penetrates and dissolves paint, enamel, varnish, lacquer, shellac, polyurethane and stain. Its semi-paste consistency is ideal for vertical applications. TM-3 will not harm wood, plaster, metal, glass or brush bristles.
Where to Use
TM-3 Semi-Paste Remover is recommended for use on wood, metal or masonry surfaces. TM-3 removes stain from wood by reapplication.
Before you Begin
• Read all cautions on side panel carefully.
• SHAKE WELL before using.
• Use caution when opening can as remover may build up pressure through temperature changes.
• Hold rag over cap until pressure is released.
• Protect hands with plastic (polyethylene or neoprene) gloves.
• Use old, inexpensive or throw-away bristle brush for application.
• For best results, use when temperature is between 60° and 85°F. Apply away from strong breezes and hot sun.
• Do not use on linoleum, rubber, asphalt or other synthetics.
• Apply a liberal coat of TM-3 to project surface with a bristle brush, brushing in one direction only. Do not brush out as you would paint – as this will destroy evaporation retardant.
• Allow TM-3 to soften the finish, approximately 30 minutes depending on the number of layers of the old finish.
• The old finish is ready for removal when it blisters, wrinkles or can be lifted off easily with a flat scraper.
Scrape-Off Method: Use a round-cornered scraper, steel wool and/or burlap cloth to remove old finish. Test scrape in a small area to be sure finish is ready for removal. If finish removes easily, continue scraping project gently in the direction of the wood grain. Be careful to avoid gouging the surface. Repeat application if finish is particularly stubborn. To remove stubborn spots, rub light with fine steel wool that has been dipped in TM-3. For deep carving and recesses use a toothbrush, fine wire brush or a pointed stick to remove finish. To complete cleaning, use fine steel wool dipped in TM-3 and wipe with the grain. Wipe surface with clean cloth, then let dry.
Water Wash-Off Method: Rub prepared surface with wet toweling, burlap or fine steel wool and water to form a creamy mixture. Use a wet toothbrush to get into carvings or grooves. Rinse off mixture with wet cloth or sponge. Flush with water from a hose when possible and wipe dry. Plywood or veneers should be dried promptly.
To Remove Stain: Remove old finish thoroughly, using either of the above mentioned methods. While surface is wet, scrub wood with No. 2 steel wool and warm water. Apply a light coat of TM-3 while surface is wet; water on wood changes TM-3 into a stain remover. Let TM-3 work approximately 30 minutes. Wash off with water and buff dry. Apply household bleach and rinse if further lightening is desired.
Allow the surface to dry thoroughly. Sand lightly in the direction of the wood grain before applying the new finish.
EPA VOC: 753 g/L (6.2 lbs/gal)
Actual VOC: 393 g/L (3.2 lbs/gal)
Removing Old Finishes
Removing paints and clear finishes can be a tedious, dirty job. Thankfully, Old Masters® top-grade removers quickly strip away previous finishes with ease. Use the following section for typical removal instructions.
- Apply a liberal coat of remover to project surface with a bristle brush, brushing in one direction only. Do not brush out as you would paint – as this will destroy evaporation retardant.
- Allow the remover to soften the finish, approximately 10-15 minutes depending on the number of layers of the old finish. The old finish is ready for removal when it blisters, wrinkles or can be lifted off easily with a flat scraper.
- To remove finish, you can use a round-cornered scraper, steel wool and/or burlap cloth to remove old finish.
- If finish is particularly stubborn, remove loose residue by scraping, then repeat application.
- To complete cleaning on most projects, use fine steel wool dipped in TM-1 or mineral spirits and wipe with the grain.
- Wipe surface with clean cloth, then lightly dry.
- Once surface is completely dry, sand lightly in the direction of the woodgrain before applying the new finish.
(Do not use on linoleum, rubber, asphalt or other synthetics.)
WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. Contact the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
Technical Data Sheets
Safety Data Sheets
- 00304 – TM-3 Semi-Paste Remover – Quart
- 00301 -TM-3 Semi-Paste Remover – Gallon English