This is a superior exterior coating formulated to produces a high quality, flexible finish to withstand water and weather. It also contains Ultra Violet Absorbers for advanced sun protection. Available in Satin, Semi-Gloss and Gloss sheens.
Where to Use
Spar-Marine Varnish is recommended for use on exterior used on wood, fiberglass, coated metal or painted surfaces. It can be used on unfinished wood surfaces or previously finished surfaces. This finish can also be used over stained surfaces that have thoroughly dried.
Ideal for use on exterior surfaces such as fences, railings, lawn furniture, doors, boats and marine surfaces. For interior use on windowsills and door frames for added Ultra Violet protection. DO NOT USE on wooden decks or steps, wood siding, log homes or wood boats below water-line.
All surfaces must be clean, dry and free from dirt, wax, grease, glue and other contaminants or penetration and adhesion will be affected.
Bare Wood: Sand surface thoroughly with medium grit sandpaper and progress to fine grit sandpaper. Always sand in the direction of the wood grain. Remove dust with a tack rag.
Previously Finished Surfaces: Surface should be sanded to remove imperfections and gloss, using extra fine sandpaper (220 grit), sanding with the grain. Remove dust with a tack rag.
Stained Surfaces: Stain must be thoroughly dry before applying clear finish. Do not sand uncoated stained surface.
Note: If a sealer is desired, we recommend Old Masters® Penetrating Sealer.
Stir thoroughly before and during application. DO NOT SHAKE. Do not apply in direct sunlight or areas of extreme air movement.
- Apply with pure bristle or polyester brush, flat pad or spray.
- Apply in full, even coats. Flow on with minimum brushing to achieve a glass-like finish.
- Spar-Marine Varnish will dry to touch in 4 to 6 hours. Under ideal drying conditions, allow 8 to 16 hours before recoating. Overnight drying is recommended.
- Sand lightly between coats with fine sandpaper (220 grit) to produce a finer finish and promote adhesion. If sandpaper gums up allow more dry time. Remove sanding dust.
- Reapply. For exterior surfaces, a minimum of three coats should be applied.
As with all exterior clear finishes, this product will not offer unlimited protection against the elements. Surfaces which receive direct sunlight may have to be re-coated annually to maintain gloss and to prevent cracking and peeling.
Do not thin. Use as packaged.
Approximately 500 square feet per gallon. Coverage will vary significantly depending on application method and condition of wood.
Apply when air and surface temperatures are between 60° and 90°F and humidity is between 30% and 70%. At 50% relative humidity and 70°F, Spar-Marine Varnish will dry to touch in 6 to 8 hours. Under ideal drying conditions, allow 8 to 16 hours before recoating. Overnight drying is recommended. Drying time will be affected by temperature, humidity and film thickness. Protect product from freezing prior to and during application.
Wait 24 hours before subjecting surfaces to light use. Care should be used during the first week after application as the finish is curing to its ultimate hardness.
Using a cleaning solvent, such as paint thinner or mineral spirits, is recommended for clean up. The use of paint thinners or mineral spirits may violate VOC compliancy in your area. Check with your local government agencies to ensure proper compliancy.
To avoid spontaneous combustion during temporary storage, soak soiled rags and waste immediately after use in a water-filled, closed metal container.
MAX VOC: 350 grams/liter (2.9 lbs/gal)
Why use clear finishes?
Clear finishes are used to seal and protect surfaces. In many cases, clear finishes offer lasting, durable protection from abrasion, marring and chipping. Most clear finishes also protect the surfaces from damage caused by water and alcohol. Exterior clear finishes provide protection to withstand water, weather and sunlight.
Supplies List for Clear Finishing:
- Fine Grade Sand Paper or Nylon Sanding Pad
- Tack cloth or clean cloth
- Stir Stick and Drop Cloth
- Quality, China Bristle Brush
Technical Data Sheets
Safety Data Sheets
- 92304 – Satin – Quart English | Spanish | French
- 92308 – Satin – 2 Quart English | Spanish | French
- 92301 – Satin – Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 92305 – Satin – 5 Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 92310 – Satin – 10 Gallon English | Spanish
- 92404 – Gloss – Quart English | Spanish | French
- 92408 Gloss – 2 Quart English | Spanish | French
- 92401 – Gloss – Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 92405 – Gloss – 5 Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 92410 – Gloss – 10 Gallon English | Spanish
- 92504 – Semi Gloss – Quart English | Spanish | French
- 92508 – Semi Gloss – 2 Quart English | Spanish | French
- 92501 – Semi Gloss – Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 92505 – Semi Gloss – 5 Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 92510 – Semi Gloss – 10 Gallon English | Spanish