Old Masters® Masters Armor™ will provide a beautiful clear finish using cutting edge technology. This product will enhance your wood project by giving excellent clarity, easy application, fast drying and superior durability. Masters Armor™ can be used on floors, cabinets, furniture or almost any type of woodwork. Available in Flat, Satin, Semi-Gloss and Gloss sheens.
All surfaces must be clean, dry and free from dirt, wax, grease, glue and other contaminants or penetration and adhesion will be affected. DO NOT use over shellac, lacquer, filler, stains or sealers containing stearates. After sanding, remove sanding dust with vacuum or damp cloth. DO NOT use a tack rag to remove dust, as it may leave a residue that will interfere with adhesion.
New Wood: Sand surface thoroughly with medium grit sandpaper and progress to fi ne grit sandpaper. Always sand in the direction of the woodgrain. Do not use
Previously Finished Surfaces: Surface should be sanded to remove imperfections and gloss, using extra fi ne sandpaper (220 grit), sanding with the grain. Do not use steel wool.
Stained Surfaces: Stain must be thoroughly dry before applying clear finish. Allow oil-based stain to dry a minimum of 48 hours in good drying conditions before top coating. Do not sand uncoated stained surface.
Floors: Masters Armor is an excellent self-sealing clear finish on wood floors. Do not use a Sanding Sealer prior to Masters Armor application. For added protection, chemical resistance and superior durability, we recommend mixing Masters Armor Part B Hardener (sold separately). Add the entire Part B four ounce container to one gallon of Masters Armor and stir thoroughly before use.
WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead.
Stir thoroughly before and during application. DO NOT SHAKE. Test the finish on an inconspicuous area to ensure adequate adhesion. Masters Armor appears milky in the can but dries clear. Do not apply in direct sunlight or areas of extreme air movement. Masters Armor is an excellent self-sealing clear finish. Do not use a Sanding Sealer prior to Masters Armor application.
- Apply with a synthetic fiber brush, foam brush, flat pad or sprayer. A lambswool applicator may be used for large flat areas.
- Apply in full even coats in the direction of the grain. If brushing, apply liberally and keep a wet edge, working quickly to ensure an even coat. Apply with care to prevent bubbles in the finish.
- Allow 1 to 2 hours before recoating. Sand lightly between coats with fine sandpaper (220 grit) to produce a finer finish. If sandpaper gums up allow more dry time. Remove sanding dust.
- Reapply. Three coats are recommended for greatest durability.
Please note: Testing is very important when applying this product over paints or stains because the appearance of these products may change when a water-based finish is applied. This product gives a soft wood amber that ONLY becomes noticeable when applied over white or pastel paints and stains.
Thinning is not recommended, but if necessary, a small amount of water may be added. For spray applications, up to 8 oz. or ½ pint may be used if needed.
At recommended dry mil fi lm thickness of 1 to 2 mils, coverage will be approximately 300 to 400 square feet per gallon. Coverage will vary significantly depending on application method and condition of wood.
Apply when air and surface temperatures are between 60° and 90°F and humidity is between 30% and 70%. At 50% relative humidity and 70°F, Masters Armor will dry to touch within 30 minutes and ready to recoat after 1 to 2 hours. Drying time will be affected by temperature, humidity and film thickness.
Wait 24 hours before subjecting surfaces to light use. Care should be used during the first week after application as the finish is curing to its ultimate hardness. Protect product from freezing prior to and during application.
MAX VOC DOES NOT EXCEED 110 g/L (not activated).
MAX VOC DOES NOT EXCEED 107 g/L when mixed with Part B.
Why use clear finishes?
Clear finishes are used to seal and protect surfaces. In many cases, clear finishes offer lasting, durable protection from abrasion, marring and chipping. Most clear finishes also protect the surfaces from damage caused by water and alcohol. Exterior clear finishes provide protection to withstand water, weather and sunlight.
Supplies List for Clear Finishing:
- Fine Grade Sand Paper or Nylon Sanding Pad
- Tack cloth or clean cloth
- Stir Stick and Drop Cloth
- Quality, China Bristle Brush
Technical Data Sheets
Safety Data Sheets
- 72004 – Flat – Quart English | Spanish | French
- 72001 – Flat – Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 72104 – Satin – Quart English | Spanish | French
- 72101 – Satin – Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 72204 – Semi Gloss – Quart English | Spanish | French
- 72201 – Semi Gloss – Gallon English | Spanish | French
- 72304 – Gloss – Quart English | Spanish | French
- 72301 – Gloss – Gallon English | Spanish | French